Week Month is going to absolutely kill me…
Adult birthdays are quite literally the best, because you can drink champagne and drunkenly shop at 2pm on a Wednesday, and most people are absolutely there for it — cue this splurge (which you’ll definitely see more of once the weather warms up). The last 5 days have been absolutely magical thanks to “my people”, but boy, am I exhausted.
That’s why yesterday I had to give myself a long hard talk and say, “Katie, it’s time to join the real world again.” Cue: meal prepping. And fun fact – I hate people prepping, and I think it’s absolutely dumb. Why force yourself to eat the same thing all week that you made on Sunday? No thank you.
So when I reluctantly decided to get my life together again (time to fight through that hangover) I knew I’d need breakfast this week to get me back on track. While I hardly eat breakfast, I do love something that packs a nutritious punch that you can easily grab on the go.
My good friend at work inspired me with these whatever you want to call them – egg muffins or petite quiche or whatever. And truthfully, this may be the only thing I “meal prep” again.
Breakfast Egg Muffins
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1/2 bell pepper red used for this recipe
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 medium tomato diced
- 3/4 lb ground turkey season with salt & pepper prior to cooking
- 2 cups spinach about two handfulls
- 5 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/3 cup milk of your choice
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 cup chia seeds
- 6 oz shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.Note: you can use olive oil spray, PAM, avocado oil, etc.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat
- Sauté onions and salt for 5 minutes, until soft
- season ground turkey with salt and pepper, add to the onion mixture and brown until almost done
- Add bell peppers and tomato - sauté for another 3 to 5 minutes (or until bell peppers are slightly soft and the turkey is thoroughly cooked)
- Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Set aside the turkey x veggie mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, flour, salt and pepper until smooth.
- Add the chia seeds, about 3 oz cheese, and the cooked turkey mixture to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour into the prepared muffin pan and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until firm.
Recipe ever-so-slightly modified from Skinnytaste’s Petite Crustless Quiche recipe (you’ll probably remember that they’re one of my absolute favorite food blogs)!