I’m not trying to bore you with a long winded post this time, because I know you can’t wait to get to these cookies…
*BUT QUICKLY LET ME JUST SAY*
Baking has always been so therapeutic for me.
Bad grade? Cookies. Killed it in that meeting at work? Cookies. The Bachelorette is on? Cookies. But the surprising thing about this special type of “therapy”? I hardly bake them just for me.
Confession: I’m not huge on sweets. I can very seldom eat a whole piece of cake, and I’d rather have something savory over sweet any day of the week! Sure, a cookie or two every now and then is good for mental health (I’m convinced), but I’d honestly rather have a plate of nachos. That’s why I’d rather make cookies for other people – whether they’re coworkers or my parents when I come home – just because I can take advantage of a full-sized kitchen – or a friend who has had a bad day. Cookies just make everyone smile.
AND LET ME TELL YOU – THESE COOKIES WILL MAKE YOU SMILE.
If you like chocolate, boy, are these the cookies for you! I had to stop myself from eating too much of the dough because it really is straight sugar – dough is the only “sweet” I have to hold myself back on. These cookies are nice and gooey on the inside and beautiful and crisp on the outside. Not to mention double. chocolate. OKAY. Here we go…
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
What you’ll need:
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee
8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 stick salted butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper. I only have one, but I highly recommend using two at a time.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder. Set Aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt butter and 4 oz (1/2 cup) of chocolate chips until completely melted – Microwave 30 seconds at a time and then stir until all melted. Should only take about a minute or so!
- Add the melted chocolate and butter mixture to the standing mixer bowl with the paddle attachment and add sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat on medium speed for about 1 minute. Once mixed reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture until it’s combined.
- CHOCOLATE CHIP TIME – Fold in the rest of the chocolate chips.
- Scoop batter using a small cookie scoop onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place cookie dough about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until just starting to crack. The cookies may seem soft but they firm up as they cool. Cool on drying rack and dust with confectioners sugar or sea salt if you want.
- (Optional:) Live your best life and eat 10 cookies in one sitting because they’re that good.