Continuing with the “reset” theme that we’ve got going on this week, I wanted to share something that I go to on some of my very “meh” days – a Berry & Spinach Detox Smoothie! A few things first and foremost:
NO you cannot taste the spinach.
NO it’s not gross.
YES it is sweet and delicious and tastes like berries.
God, so picky, aren’t we?
Before nailing down any concoction similar to this, I’d find myself spending hours on Pinterest – “HOW THE HELL DO YOU MAKE A GOOD SMOOTHIE?!” – only to find myself disappointed. Finally one day the smoothie gods answered my prayers and alas a star of smoothies was born. I love to make this lil’ guy for breakfast or lunch, but especially on days where I feel very heavy from eating crap or going out all weekend. Often times I have a hard time replacing a full meal with the smoothie, but most days I don’t eat breakfast, so does that really count as a meal replacement? Not in my book.
“But, Katie, what makes this a detox smoothie?” Okay, you got me – let’s discuss, shall we? Ginger, lemon, chia seeds, and spinach are all key ingredients and they all do marvelous things for your body:
- Ginger helps with any muscle soreness and any inflammation (bloating). It also has a ton of health benefits, but if you’re working out regularly, this will help you feel refreshed significantly!
- Chia seeds are packed with omega-3’s which help maintain cholesterol, and other antioxidants and nutrients.
- Lemon aids in overall digestion as well as provides vitamin C that’s great for your skin!
- Packed with vitamins and minerals — spinach is extremely nutrient-rich! It contains high amounts of vitamin C, vitamin K, folic acid, iron and calcium.
Some fun things you could add to this smoothie, because it seems as if the majority of my friends and I all have similar versions, are:
- A fresh banana
- Greek yogurt
- Water or Coconut Water (to replace of almond milk or in addition to the almond milk)
- A different type of frozen fruit medley
- PB2 or any other kind of protein powder
- Vital Proteins
- An avocado (personally, as a friend recently put it, I think avocados are too “premium” of a veggie to include in a smoothie
- Kale (instead of spinach)
- Agave (instead of honey)
- Flax seeds (instead of or in addition to chia seeds)
…honestly, the list is endless! Enjoy!
Berry & Spinach Detox Smoothie
- 1-1.5 cup frozen berries of your choosing
- 1 heaping handful packed spinach
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt optional
- 1 cup almond milk unsweetened
- 2 tsp honey
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 slices ginger sliced extra thin
- Combine all ingredients in your blender and pulse until well combined.
- If you prefer your smoothie more runny, add 3 tbsp water until you reach the consistency desired.
As always, if you try any of the recipes I post please shoot me a line! I’d love to hear from you!!